Planning an epic bash immediately after your split will take your mind off of those waves of disappointment and sadness that threaten to plunge you into a post-break up wallow. You know - pajamas all day, ice-cream for breakfast, going over old fights again and again in your head.
You're upset because all that time you devoted to your ex seems to have gone to waste but that's false! Remember that relationships - even "failed" ones - help you grow as a person and give you a clear idea of what you want in your next partner.
And don't forget that, as difficult and heart-wrenching as it is, deciding to break up is usually a sign that your ex simply isn't the one for you. We've had our hearts ripped apart before too; that's why we believe it's important to surround yourself with as much positivity as you can during this time.
So check out the reasons why embracing your brand new single status is the perfect way to celebrate all the annoying things you don't have to put up with anymore.
1. Getting drunk and dancing until your knees are sore is the only cure-all for the post-breakup blues.
With help from all the free drinks you'll get from your sympathetic friends, you'll be able to let loose and dance the sad away. We suggest you ask the DJ to play the only break-up song that matters - Kelly Clarkson's "Since U Been Gone"!
2. You can watch crappy reality TV without getting the side-eye from your ex (who never understood your slight obsession with Lisa Vanderpump anyway).
Alright, so sometimes you watch embarrassing TV. We all like trashy shows, and now you can shamelessly watch TOWIE or MIC reruns without getting any grief over it.
3. A party means cake and cakes means all is right in your world.
Chocolate molten lava cake. Need we say more?
4. That freakum dress you bought from Topshop last year will finally get its time to shine.
It's time to throw on that sexy outfit and bask in the glow of your single girl hotness.
5. You're free to let that hair grow...and grow...and grow.
Who cares if your legs aren't super smooth? No one's seeing them anyway.
6. You can now dedicate all your free time to your best friends.
Your friends. Remember them? Sometimes being in a serious relationship means sacrificing time with your closest friends. Luckily, they'll probably forgive you for being MIA, but make it up to them by being around as much as you can with sleepovers, boozy brunches, and mani-pedi dates!
7. You don't have to share your bed anymore!
You'll get a great night's sleep as a single girl because the bed is all yours. No more waking up in the middle of night from loud snoring!
8. You can finally start all those DIY projects you pinned.
Sewing cute pillowcases or painting IKEA future is a huge confidence booster. Plus, changing the look of your apartment will erase any memories of your stupid ex.
9. You'll discover that sometimes a good cuddle with your pet is a fine substitute for a warm body.
Pets do wonders for a broken heart. They always seem to know when you're sad and don't care if you squeeze and snuggle them for hours, so indulge yourself in the unconditional love of your furry friend.
10. You get to join the Tinder generation
Admittedly, you might not meet your next true love through Tinder, but hey, you could get an awesome booty call out of it!
11. FREE DRINKS
No one says you have to talk to those persistent guys at the bar who will buy you drinks. Smile nicely, say thank you, and then take that gin and tonic over to the table with your friends.
12. You can crush on everyone
Realizing that your best friend's cousin is actually quite cute. Even if you don't approach your crush, it's fun to gush about them to your friends. Cheers to that!
13. You get to go on tons of dates
First dates are nerve wracking, but even if the date's a dud at least you get a free meal out of it.
14. First kisses
There's something really thrilling about kissing someone you like for the first time. Lucky for you, you get to have that feeling as much as you want!
15. You only have to answer to yourself
Sharing and compromising? That's all in the past now. You don't have to worry about another person's happiness anymore. That's an incredibly freeing feeling and gives you room to find out what an awesome and fabulous person you are just on your own!
What's your fave thing about being single? Let us know @sofeminineUK!